Nelson Mandela: A long walk to freedom


1. In general, what did you like and dislike about the film?


One of the things that I most loved about the film it was that it presents us to a human Nelson Mandela, shows us the person and the process to became a man. I realized that he wasn't perfect, that he made mistakes, and that there is so many times when he hurted people that he loved with his decissions.

Often, we idealize the people and especially when they were so important like it was Mandela. It's for that when I saw the movie, it was like a travel for me... in the start, I disliked a little bit the younger Nelson (on his relationship with his first wife), and it was so different to see the man and not just the pacific president.
What I dislike about the movie? I don't think that there it's something that I dislike, but i think that I ended with the sensation that I needed to know more... I felt that the film past so fast, that in too many times I thought that there was something that I lost. But I understand that its a long story, with a lot of events and its just impossible to put all that information in just 2 hours.

2. In your own words, how would you compare the "various Mandelas;" the ones from the article and the one from the film?

Wow, I was a little bit shocked with the article's Mandela, because I didn't know this conception of him or the legacy that Nelson left. 

The image that the international media did of him maybe it could be very different about what are really happening with his legacy or the truth idea of him on southafrica. 

On the film we can known a person who are changing constantly, "various Mandelas". The younger that is revolutionary, and the oldest that is much a peacefull. But i think that this is the true, and that is what I like most of the movie, that you can feel that this is the truth story of Mandela, because you can know a man that its always changing, learning, like the most of us. And this is something that you can noticed too in the articule, because it talks about the various persons that Mandela was, and shows you too the differents opinions about his legacy.

3. What was the role that Winnie Mandela played in the film? Think about the contrast between her and the other ANC members.

Winnie Mandela it was a very important character in the film. She was essential to the developed of the movie and for the fight against the apartheid. 
I like so much that Mandela's story it tells the story of Winnie too. I like that this two stories, with consequences so differents, but so similars too, are so connected. And I loved that the movie shows us that.
On contrast with the other ANC members she was so much brave, and she had a very different point of view. She wants freedom, no matter the consequences. 

4. How do you compare the role of Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress in the struggle against the apartheid and in the post-apartheid South Africa to the Concertación and their role in the struggle against Augusto Pinochet's dictatorship and in post-dictatorial Chile?

I think that the Concertación had and a role so much passive, and I don't talk about peacefull, I talk about don't do anything, just wait... Even when Mandela became in a mythical man that proclaims the peace, he was emphatic on the need of the democracy and worked for that.
But in the case of Chile, despite that there were people that tried to make the difference, there wasn't a leadership so strong like Mandela's leadership.
But in some way, there is similar things. One of that is the important of the Concertación to came back to the democracy, just that later this it wasn't enought.


Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares